Opening BLOG

     Hi, my name is Nancy I'm a first generation college student, I'm the oldest out of three girls and I come from a Hispanic household. The big question "why teach?" has a journey for me. I originally made the decision to come to Texas State with political science as my major and then transfer to a law school to get a degree in Law to become a lawyer. This was the plan up until mid-summer before coming to Texas State when a cousin of mine pointed put that I was great with kids, and had a lot of patience with them and suggested a became a teacher. She wasn't the only person to point out that I was great with kids but her comment was the last one that convinced me to change my whole plan and switch to an education major. Before deciding that I even wanted to come to college I was putting my focus in getting my cosmetology license and working in a spa after high school. After I got my cosmetology license, I decided to use that as backup plan and continue my education in a university and that is how I made my way to Texas State. I had many great teachers throughout my education and continue to have great teachers here in Texas State but there have a few teachers that I can say had an impact in my life outside of the learning environment. These teachers pushed me to accomplish my goals and supported me when I felt like giving up and I am thankful for them because they had a part in how I turned out. I hope that when I become a teacher I have a big impact in my students life were once they grow up they can look back and remember me as a teacher who was really there for them and encouraged them when they really needed it. 

    I would like teach english/reading and writing and social studies/history. Ever since I was in elementary I've always enjoyed reading and learning about history and things that happened in the past. I would like to teach from the ages of 7-11 year olds which is from first grade to fifth grade. The reason I would like to teach in between these ages is because I've come to realize that it is between these ages that children tend to ask more questions about life and how things work. While 6 year olds and younger ask you question about why you are doing something one way instead of doing it another way.

    My favorite TikTok teachers were: 






Comments

  1. Hi Nancy,
    It was neat reading about your journey to choosing education as you major. Teaching is really challenging and really rewarding. I hope you find as much joy as I have. Best wishes in this class.

    And, it is so exciting that you are a first gen student!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment